Picture
1. Why did you decide to start your organization?
I was raised with very negative ideas about Orthodox Jews despite having had almost no personal contact with them. The stereotypes and misconceptions I grew up with made me much less willing to explore Orthodox Judaism as a possible path in life. I realized a few years ago that the attitude I was raised with is prevelent among nearly all non-Orthodox Jews and that they are similarly impeded them from exploring Orthodoxy. It occurred to me that if someone would correct these myths and misconceptions though, more Jews would be willing to learn about Orthodox Judaism. With technology (YouTube videos and social media) being as it is today, anyone can put a message out there and if it's compelling enough it will spread.

2. What has been your favorite experience as a Jewish educator?
I feel that traditional Judaism is one of the best kept secrets in the world. My passion is getting people to give it a chance because most Jews have their mind made up about Judaism despite actually knowing very little about it. So when someone starts to explore Judaism more deeply - whether it's a first Shabbos experience or attending a Torah class - and they begin to understand how amazing their heritage is and how much more there is to discover, it's one of the best feelings out there - reconnecting a Jew with his birthright.

3. What are you most looking forward to at YouthCon?
Connecting with people (in real life, as opposed to online where I usually connect!) who have similar interests and passions and letting more people know about Jew in the City.
------------------------------

Allison is the founder and director of Jew in the City which breaks down stereotypes about religious Jews and offers a humorous meaningful look into Orthodox Judaism through the power of new media. Allison has been involved in Jewish Outreach for over a dozen years and has worked at Partners in Torah, Sinai Retreats, and NCSY. She has written, directed and produced videos for Aish.com and lectures around the country and on WebYeshiva.org. She received her Bachelor of Arts from Columbia University in Philosophy and is a mother of four.

Check out her website: http://JewintheCity.com
Follow her on Twitter: @JewInTheCity

Comments

02/09/2013 3:48am

Wow, The experience you shared is nice and very interesting to know.

03/13/2013 6:13am

Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice at the same time as you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a weblog site? The account helped me a appropriate deal. I had been tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast offered vibrant transparent idea.

05/24/2013 6:01am

Laptops have almost become a necessity these days. This is the age of computers and internet, and it is only natural that you look for a good, reliable laptop for yourself. But you find yourself in a quandary

05/24/2013 6:01am

Do some self-learning. Find books and websites that help you learn hardware, networking and operating systems. Classes aren't necessary to register for most certification exams--you can prepare at home.

05/24/2013 6:02am

I remember my dentist in Goose Creek told me that our dental health is the mirror of our overall health. I've read some articles, like the link between oral health with cardiac health, and now this article.

05/24/2013 6:02am

Effective menu planning helps us lead a healthy lifestyle. It helps you organize your kitchen duties and you know how much time you are going to spend for cooking. So, you can enjoy the luxury of shaping your lifestyle than anyone else. Here are some great reasons:

05/24/2013 6:02am

Some people need a strict diet plan to help them lose fat by not eating white bread and pasta. If you are this type of person, look into a low carb diet like Eat to Live or the McDougall Plan for Maximum Weight Loss.

06/05/2013 3:00am

I have enjoyed reading the interview with Allison Joseph.how politely she had mentioned about the misconceptions on Orthodox Judaism she had possessed within herself.It is so true that by connecting with the Jews in the city,we can keep away the misconceptions about them. Regards

Comments are closed.